We are delighted to announce the provisional dates for our summer 2023 beginner kayaking courses. The beginner kayaking course aims to enable participants to:
- Kayak safely and competently on flat water, grade I rivers, very sheltered coastal areas as a member of a group of peers.
- Be able to carry out basic safety techniques with the assistance of another member of the group or the person in the water.
- Be able to safety plan and carry out a trip in a flat-water environment considering all relevant factors.
The course dates/formats are as follows:
Adult Course – COMPLETED
- Mixed, ages 18+
- Friday 19th May – Sunday 21st May
- Friday 6pm – 9pm
- Saturday 10am – 4pm
- Sunday 10am – 4pm
Junior Course – COMPLETED
- Mixed, ages 12-18
- Friday 30th June – Sunday 2nd July
- Friday 6pm – 9pm
- Saturday 10am – 3pm
- Sunday 10am – 3pm
The courses will take place at the Back Avenue, Doorly Park Sligo each day. Participants are asked to come a little early and are required to bring the following items:
- Suitable footwear that can get wet (wetsuit booties etc)
- Packed lunch inc. water (Sat & Sun of weekend courses only)
- Suncream (if the weather is nice)
- Towel & change of clothes *
- Any medicines they may require during the course of the sessions
* Note: there are no onsite changing facilities.
Additionally, participants are required to meet the following conditions to take part in the courses:
- Have at least a basic ability to swim as all participants will be capsizing during the course of the training
- Be of sufficient fitness to be able to take part in light-medium physical activity over the course of the weekend
Back Up Course Dates
Please note: if weather conditions prevent us from running the Adult & Junior courses on the advertised dates, the back up dates for these courses will be 1 week after the advertised course dates. Participants are advised to keep both weekends free just in case.
How to Book
Places on the course are very limited will be offered on a first come first served basis. Receipt of the course fee and submission of the membership form is required to reserve your place.
To book a place on a course please email info -AT- sligokayakclub.com or contact us through Facebook/Instagram and you will be provided with the relevant booking links.
If you have previously purchased a kayaking voucher please get in touch with SKC asap to confirm allocation of places. SKC reserve the right to withdraw bookings if participants do not meet the course criteria.
If you have any questions please contact us in advance.